Softpanorama classification of commenters
A vaguely passive-aggressive post on commenters by
November 22, 2009
Ten types of commenter, of which the last are the rarest.
- Bombastic. The commenter who has not read the post properly,
decides they know what it says anyway, and fires off a series of disgusted
- Sarcastic. The commenter who takes the opportunity to make
some sarcastic remarks highlighting his (99% of cases are male) own
superior scholarship/intelligence and damning the CT author. “If only
Chris has read the second treatise of Heinrich von Pumpkin in the original
German, he’d be aware …
- Prejudiced. Commenter who applies the most uncharitable possible
interpretation to the post, and goes straight into rant mode..”
- True believer. The commenter who uses every comment as a
peg on which to hang his (yes, “his”) own obsessions about, e.g. analytical
philosophy, populism, Palestine, etc
- Nasty. The commenter who simply wants to make nasty personal
remarks, often about female members of the collective, often using an
- Vendetful. The commenter with a sense of grievance against
Softpanorama following their treatment.
- Digging. The commenter who notices that a CT author said
P in 2005 and not-P in 2008, and who gives every impression of compiling
an archive of such contradictions.
- Accidental. The commenter who has posted in the thread in
error, and angrily denounces literary theory in a discussion of Irish
- The commenter who reads what we write, tries to have a conversation,
is occasionally appreciative, points out mistakes helpfully rather than
as “gotchas”, brings their own knowledge to the table.
November 04, 2012